Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Book Review: Catching Fire (The Hunger Games #2) by Suzanne Collins

Catching Fire (The Hunger Games #2) by Suzanne Collins
Release Date: 15th December 2009
Publisher:
Scholastic

Format: eBook
Pages: 480
Rating: 5.0/5.0


This book was read as part of the 2012 OTS Challenge 

Summary from Amazon:
buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery
"Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the annual Hunger Games with fellow district tribute Peeta Mellark. But it was a victory won by defiance of the Capitol and their harsh rules. Katniss and Peeta should be happy. After all, they have just won for themselves and their families a life of safety and plenty. But there are rumors of rebellion among the subjects, and Katniss and Peeta, to their horror, are the faces of that rebellion. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge."

Review:
I was actually a bit worried when I picked up this book. I didn't really know where the story could go, what exactly could happen after the end of The Hunger Games. But as soon as I started reading, everything made perfect sense. I was sitting there thinking I was such an idiot, because obviously this is where the story would continue too. And then BAM, at the end of Chapter 12, the story went somewhere I wasn't expecting, but probably should have in hindsight, but knew I would thoroughly enjoy. I'd like to say what happens, but I'll be spoiling the book if I do that.

What I loved about this book was that Suzanne Collins continued doing what she does best. She took what was an amazing premise in The Hunger Games, a story filled with plot twists and incredible characters depicted in the dystopian world of Panem, and took it to a whole new level. The characters that I know and love were still there, and extra attention was payed to Gale, which I enjoyed. All the action and adventure from the first book was still there, just taken to the next level. I feel weird saying this, but this book blew me away. I can't wait to read Mockingjay - I have no doubt that it will be amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Whilst I may not always reply to comments, I do see them and appreciate them all :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...