Friday, December 9, 2011

Book Review: The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Release Date: a long time ago...
Publisher:
Penguin Books

Format: Paperback
Pages: 302
Rating: 4.0/5.0

Book Blurb:
buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery"The always unflappable Sherlock Holmes solves the world's most baffling puzzles with the able assistance of Doctor Watson. Mysteries of disguise, madness, red-headed members' clubs and missing thumbs must be untangled - and the only woman to ever beat the sleuth must be faced."

Review:
I've always loved Sherlock Holmes. I don't really know why, because this is the first Sherlock Holmes book I've actually read. I think ever since I got into mystery and crime, Sherlock Holmes just became the epicenter of that for me. But I can now say that I am a true fan of Sherlock Holmes after reading the original short stories.

There's a reason why Sherlock Holmes keeps getting recreated (what with movies, TV shows and books) - it's just sooo good. Whilst some of the stories are a bit absurd (a secret society for people with red hair?), its Holmes himself that will draw you into the stories. You read for a couple of pages some person relay all the details surrounding their mystery, and then you are shown piece by piece how Holmes figured it all out, and you say to yourself, "With the next short story, I'll be more attentive and I'll figure everything out." And then you try to do that, and you may work out parts of the story, but you have no chance of figuring out everything. And that's why the stories are addictive - you keep going back because not only are the stories interesting, but you want to see how Holmes solves the next mystery.

Whilst the stories are great, it took me longer than I expected to get through the book, and each story itself took me a while to read. I think the problem is that the book was dense, and I found it hard to finish one short story and then jump straight into the next. Either way, the short stories were worth the read, even if it takes some time to get through them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Whilst I may not always reply to comments, I do see them and appreciate them all :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...