Thursday, December 13, 2012

Book Review: Fracture by Megan Miranda

Fracture by Megan Miranda
Release Date: 12th February 2012
Publisher: Bloomsbury Publishing 
Format: eBook 
Pages: 272
Rating: 3.0/5.0


This book was read as part of the 2012 Debut Author Challenge

Summary from Amazon:
buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery"Eleven minutes passed before Delaney Maxwell was pulled from the icy waters of a Maine lake by her best friend Decker Phillips. By then her heart had stopped beating. Her brain had stopped working. She was dead. And yet she somehow defied medical precedent to come back seemingly fine
-despite the scans that showed significant brain damage. Everyone wants Delaney to be all right, but she knows she's far from normal. Pulled by strange sensations she can't control or explain, Delaney finds herself drawn to the dying. Is her altered brain now predicting death, or causing it?

Then Delaney meets Troy Varga, who recently emerged from a coma with similar abilities. At first she's reassured to find someone who understands the strangeness of her new existence, but Delaney soon discovers that Troy's motives aren't quite what she thought. Is their gift a miracle, a freak of nature-or something much more frightening?"

Review:
I have to say that this book underwhelmed me. The premise is really, really interesting, and I did enjoy this part of the plot - it's a fascinating idea, the idea that severe trauma can cause changes in our body and our mind, that science and medicine can't explain. However, I don't really think that this book pulled this concept off that well. It's not that it was bad, but I do think it could be better. It's kinda like how I felt about Slide by Jill Hathaway in this respect. The premise of the story is interesting in itself, but I don't really think that Megan Miranda pulled it off. There was no OMG moment for me in the novel; there was potential for an OMG moment at one point, but it played out way too quickly for my liking.

Moving onto another point, I wasn't the biggest fan of the romances in this novel. The romance between Troy and Delaney felt, to me, forced and a bit convenient. I get that they share some sort of bond because they are both afflicted with the same kind of problem, but you don't become romantically interested in someone just because of that, which really is the only reason that these two come together. Troy was acting a bit stalkerish at the beginning of the novel, and any sane girl would have run in the opposite direction (this was especially the case when Delaney found out something about a certain old man with a cane), but Delaney didn't, and I just didn't understand that. Secondly, there's Decker, and the relationship between these two and the way it progressed was completely predictable. I didn't mind the romance between these two, but I knew what was going to happen between these two from probably the first page.

Overall, this wasn't what I would call an amazing read. Which is interesting because I'm seeing this book pop up on some people's best books of the year lists. So, really, you can't just trust my word on this, it's probably that this book just wasn't for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Whilst I may not always reply to comments, I do see them and appreciate them all :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...