Friday, June 29, 2012

55 Questions About Reading

I stumbled across this questionnaire at Realms of an Open Mind, and it looked so interesting that I thought I'd give it a go!

1. Favourite childhood book?
It has to be Time Stops for No Mouse by Michael Hoeye. Its just such a delightful mystery where the main character is a mouse...I can't even remember how many times I've read it, all I know is that I've read it multiple times! It's probably the oldest book I own, and I just can't seem to get rid of it.


2. What are you reading right now?
I just started reading A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick today.

3. What books do you have on request at the library?
I don't generally borrow books from the library, so none.


4. Bad book habit?
Taking looooong breaks from reading. Don't get me wrong, I love to read, but sometimes things get on top of me and one thing leads to another and I could stop reading for a month or so.

5. What do you currently have checked out at the library?
Nothing at the moment.

6. Do you have an e-reader?
I do, I was given some generic brand e-reader for Christmas last year, and I absolutely love it!

7. Do you prefer to read one book at a time, or several at once?
I prefer to read just one book at a time.

8. Have your reading habits changed since starting a blog?
I feel more inclined to say no. I've always read from a wide range of authors, and a wide range of genres as well.

9. Least favourite book you read this year (so far?)
The Red Queen by Philippa Gregory - seriously, just don't.

10. Favourite book you’ve read this year?
Ooooo thats tricky - I've read so many great books this year that asking me to choose is just cruel! However, it would probably have to be between 
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins and The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin.

11. How often do you read out of your comfort zone?
I don't really think that I have a comfort zone, since I read from a wide range of genres anyway. But, I generally don't go near non-fiction, biographies, or heavily religious books, so I guess you could say that I don't read outside of my comfort zone.

12. What is your reading comfort zone?
I guess just fiction - I honestly will read just about anything.

13. Can you read on the bus?
Thankfully yes, otherwise my long bus rides to uni each day would be a lot less interesting.

14. Favourite place to read?
Curled up in my bed.

15. What is your policy on book lending?
I'm pro-book lending; if I've loved a book, then I want to share the love around! Plus I always remember who I've lent my books to, so I never lose them.

16. Do you ever dog-ear books?
NEVER. I just hate dog-earring books. Generally I always have a bookmark handy, or something that can be used as a bookmark. But, even if I don't, I'd rather go to the effort of pulling out my phone and making a note of what page I'm up to instead of dog-earring a book.

17. Do you ever write in the margins of your books?
Nope.

18. Not even with text books?
Well, textbooks are completely different...by which I mean I write in my textbooks all the time.

19. What is your favourite language to read in?
English. It's all I've got.

20. What makes you love a book?
There isn't one specific thing that makes me love a book, its a combination of many factors. And even I can't really explain what makes me love a book, because sometimes I can find that I end up loving a book completely, but can't actually pinpoint a reason why. Although, I can tell you that if a book has a freaking awesome premise that it pulls off, or just has one of those moments where you go 'Oh....my.....god....that is just brilliant', then I am bound to love that book too.

21. What will inspire you to recommend a book?
I recommend books all the time...its one of the reasons I started this blog! But, outside the blogosphere, I'll only recommend a book if I've been specifically asked for recommendations. 

22. Favourite genre?
Probably crime/thriller/mystery.

23. Genre you rarely read (but wish you did?)
Biographies....but only if I know for sure that I'd find it interesting!

24. Favourite biography?
Hmmm...well see I don't actually read biographies...

25. Have you ever read a self-help book?
No, I've never thought I needed to.

26. Favourite cookbook?
Don't use them.

27. Most inspirational book you’ve read this year (fiction or non-fiction)?
I don't find most of the books I'm reading inspirational....but The Fault in Our Stars by John Green is definitely an inspirational read.

28. Favourite reading snack?
Usually I read in bed before lights out, so generally I'm not eating when I'm reading.

29. Name a case in which hype ruined your reading experience.
Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer...but the plot might have also been to blame.

30. How often do you agree with critics about a book?
I don't read book reviews often, but generally I do agree with critical opinion.

31. How do you feel about giving bad/negative reviews?
I have no problems with it. If I didn't enjoy a book, life is too short to not speak my mind and prevent other people from wasting their time.

32. If you could read in a foreign language, which language would you choose?
I've never thought about this before so I have no idea...

33. Most intimidating book you’ve ever read?
Probably Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by JK Rowling, only because it was the only Harry Potter book that I actually read!

34. Most intimidating book you’re too nervous to begin?
Nothing at the moment.

35. Favourite Poet?
I don't read poetry at all...but I did find that I enjoyed a bit of John Donne when we studied his poetry in English class last year.

36. How many books do you usually have checked out of the library at any given time?
I don't generally borrow books, so none.

37. How often have you returned book to the library unread?
Again, I don't generally borrow from the library, but I can assume that it would be never. My local library has a great system where we can extend our borrowing period online...so easy!

38. Favourite fictional character?
Oooo that's a tricky one....but I'd have to go with Sherlock Holmes.

39. Favourite fictional villain?
I have one, but if I told you who, it would completely ruin the plot of the novel (the novel being And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie).

40. Books I’m most likely to bring on holiday?
The books I read on holiday are exactly the same as the books I read at home...

41. The longest I’ve gone without reading.
Almost a full year. Reading got pushed to the wayside during my final year at high school.

42. Name a book that you could/would not finish.
The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barberry. I just didn't get it.

43. What distracts you easily when you’re reading?
Hunger if I'm reading during the day, sleepiness if I'm reading before bed.

44. Favourite film adaptation of a novel?


At the moment, I'd have to go with The Hunger Games. 

45. Most disappointing film adaptation?
Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. I actually really enjoyed the novels (bar the last one), and then the movies came along and made them a laughing joke.

46. The most money I’ve ever spent in the bookstore at one time?
Not much, maybe $30.

47. How often do you skim a book before reading it?
I used to do this a lot actually, but I managed to break the habit; I mean, skimming the book or jumping ahead to the end just defeats the purpose!

48. What would cause you to stop reading a book half-way through?
It doesn't happen very often, but I'd have to be very bored, or confused, or just not get it.

49. Do you like to keep your books organized?
Yes, and no. Of the 5 shelf's on my bookcase, only 2 contain books because most of my books now are electronic. Of the 2 shelves with physical books, one is organised with the books from my favourite series/favourite authors, and the other is just a jumble.

50. Do you prefer to keep books or give them away once you’ve read them?
I do not understand this concept! I'd much prefer to keep them. 


51. Are there any books you’ve been avoiding?
Don't think so.

52. Name a book that made you angry.
Most recently it was The Red Queen by Philippa Gregory. It just kept banging on about this one point and it wasn't even interesting...

53. A book you didn’t expect to like but did?
Juliet by Anne Fortier. It's not that I didn't expect to like it, because I wouldn't read a book if I thought I would hate it, I just didn't expect to love this book so much.

54. A book that you expected to like but didn’t?
Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins. Again, its not so much that I didn't like the book, but I definitely expected to like it a lot more.

55. Favourite guilt-free, pleasure reading?

None of my reading is guilty to begin with!


Oooo that was fun! What about you fellow bloggers, feel like answering this questionnaire?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Whilst I may not always reply to comments, I do see them and appreciate them all :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...