Monday, January 2, 2012

Book Review: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games #1) by Suzanne Collins

The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games #1) by Suzanne Collins
Release Date: 3rd July 2010
Publisher:
Scholastic 

Format: eBook 
Pages: 384
Rating: 5.0/5.0


This book was read as part of the 2012 OTS Challenge and 2012 ATS Challenge

Summary from Amazon:
buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery
"In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. Long ago the districts waged war on the Capitol and were defeated. As part of the surrender terms, each district agreed to send one boy and one girl to appear in an annual televised event called, "The Hunger Games," a fight to the death on live TV. Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she is forced to represent her district in the Games. The terrain, rules, and level of audience participation may change but one thing is constant: kill or be killed."

Review:
When I picked up this book I had no doubt that I would enjoy it. I learned about the Hunger Games series long after they were released, so I knew that not only did they have a pretty strong following, but they were also being translated to the big screen. And everyone knows that a book has to be pretty good for Hollywood to consider making a movie version. 

From the beginning, I was drawn in. The one thing you've got to love about dystopian novels is that they fully immerse you into a new and different world, and with Panem being so different and so interesting, you can't help but get pulled in. And then you have the characters. Katniss is definitely my favourite character (I really can't go past a strong heroine), but I also loved Peeta, Haymitch, Cinna and Rue too. And, whilst this may be a little grim, I absolutely loved reading about the Hunger Games themselves. The action and adventure that took place was exciting to read, and I did also enjoy seeing how the character's dealt with being thrown into a battle to the death.
I pretty much loved everything about this book - the setting, the storyline and the characters melded so well together that I got through this book within a matter of days (which is a feat for me). If you haven't read this book yet, you need to add it to you TBR pile.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Whilst I may not always reply to comments, I do see them and appreciate them all :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...